- The motorsport world is changing fast
- Increasing demand of performance differentiators like the power unit, aerodynamics and suspension
- New materials and production technologies: Potential for new aerodynamic designs and reduced fuel consumptions
- Increasing demand for CO2 reduction will create a subsequent demand for alternative drives and lightweight materials
Ready to win the race!
Winning the race without compromises - with highspeed and full flexibility in design - by relying on the proven additive manufacturing processes at GF. With the AMotion Center, you benefit from uniquely combined competences under one roof.
Our additive manufacturing process at GF is based on many years of experience with customers from various industries. Motorsport applications were among the first additive manufacturing projects we ever had and since then, we are absolutely passionate about it. Through our experience, the needs and challenges of motorsports engineers are not new to us - and we are ready to win the race together.
Setting new trends for the automotive industry
Speed is crucial in motorsports, not only on the race track, but also in product development and in adapting to latest engineering trends. Let us keep up with the pace to be ready for the next race together! We offer rapid prototyping, spare parts on demand and short lead times and support you from the very first design concept. We know the latest trends and are ready for changes and challenges when you are!
19.5 kg/ 2.83 kg
2373.5 cm3/ 360 cm3
Additive manufacturing with GF
We team up with you! We offer full R&D Service, including material, process and design development; and excellent project management. We consult and support during the set-up of specifications.
Winning the race without compromises! We offer all post-processes in-house, we work time efficiently with one touchpoint in communication and we combine more than 50 years experience in casting and additive manufacturing in high-end parts. Our transparent and reliable services and cost structures allow you to fully focus on the race ahead.
Need to speed up your manufacturing processes? Benefit from fast turnaround time and a single point of contact: From the concept to the serial production. Our processes are independent from third parties: All processes from development to finishing take place under one roof.
Part size or quantity - We think big! In our 500 x 500 x 500 mm printing space, big and heavy parts are possible as well as small parts in big volumes (part quantity in one print job).
Finding the best solution! We make objective & reliable technical decisions regarding manufacturing technology (additive manufacturing vs. casting) and experience in customer applications, processes and production costs. Both technologies and all post-processing steps happen under one roof.
Quality you can rely on! All our additive manufacturing and follow-up processes are certified according to EN 9100 and Nadcap. Our trained and experienced teams take care of the highest standards and quality management.
We are ready to realize your 3D-printing challenge!
We offer the full additive manufacturing process as well as certified post processing in-house: including surface treatment, heat treatment and non-destructive testing. Our transparent and reliable services and cost structures allow you to fully focus on the race ahead.
In the following, we describe the key players and technologies behind optimized motorsport solutions like the 3D-printed GF demonstrator.
Click on the + to learn more:
- Delivery of parts within a few weeks/days
- Order directly on demand
- Test different designs at the same time without additional cost
- Production of exact amount of required parts is possible
- Reduced leadtime and cost
- Fast turn around time
- 1:1 copy of your part (even if not produced anymore)
- Digital warehouse
- No storage or tooling costs
- Reduced risk thanks to in-house post-processes
- Characterization of material properties
- Support and consulting in the product development process
- Additive manufacturing oriented and compliant designs
- Integration of additional functions and neighbor parts
- Topology optimization and FEM simulation
- Static and dynamic validation of components also under thermal boundary conditions
- Leakage testing
- Metallurgical analysis of components
- Strong focus on the part functionality
- Better design possibilities even compared to casting
- Extreme shapes:
‒ Hollow structures
‒ Unique double-wall construction design
‒ Very thin walls <1mm
- Very complex shapes from thick to thin in one part
- Topological optimization and possibility to integrate lattice structure: extreme weight and material reduction
- Increased air flow through the cylinders’ combustion chamber augments the engine power output
- Reduced weight of the usually heavy doubled walls - while achieving the thermal insulation required for optimal performance thanks to an air gap (not feasible with traditional casting methods)
- Effective operation of the turbocharger thanks to increased thermal insulation
- Cost advantage: not only within the geometry and performance of the application but cost savings through the reduction of process steps such as machining
Functional integration through product development and process know-how:
- Integrating three single parts into one design
- Reduction of welding to attach double-walled heat shield for joint/assembly activities and process steps e.g. tooling and or machining processes
- Increased overall reliability of the turbocharger due to single-piece production
- Reduced leakage risk at the interface between the different parts
- Density: almost no inner porosities (in additive manufacturing evenly >99.5; in casting strongly influenced by the part geometry)
- Additive manufacturing could avoid HIP-treatment (cost intensive process step)
- Microstructure is finer than with casting: the tensile strength of additive manufacturing material is higher
- High repeatability in additive manufacturing
- Cost reduction as mating surfaces no longer need to be machined to tight tolerances
- Reduced lead time compared to functional surface creation via casting
- Cost-neutral feature
- Possibility to create closed cavities without the need of molding or post-processing
Additive manufacturing process steps
Additive manufacturing at our AMotion Center in Stabio (Switzerland)
Our post processing capabilities
- Vacuum & cryogenic heat treatment
- NDT inspection
(including analog & digital RX, LPI lines, 3D measurement, Zeiss equipment, GOM – Atos measurements syst. and electronic gauges)
- Airflow test
- Installation for chemical etching
- Surface superfinishing processes
- Finishing and polishing (more than 50 years of experience)
- Computer tomography**
- Machining for semi-finished and finished components**
** not in-house