- The future of aerospace propulsion needs to be designed more sustainable - it is our challenge to move towards zero emissions and carbon neutrality
- The increasing demand for CO2 reduction created a subsequent demand for eco-efficiency and alternative powertrain concepts
- New materials and production technologies: Potential for new aerodynamic designs and reduced fuel consumptions
Setting new trends for the aerospace industry with large additive solutions like turbine rear vanes
We help you to move your application to additive manufacturing
The additive manufacturing process maximizes the design flexibility and allows the integration of additional functions - at no additional costs for extra geometry changes as no prior models or tools are needed. Geometries are no longer limited to the possibilities of traditional technologies.
In addition, with printing space as big as 500 x 500 x 500 mm, we offer serial production of large additive manufactured components with extremely complex shapes integrating more details and functions.
499.7 x 499.7 x 96 mm
Additive manufacturing with GF
We help you to travel more efficient and clean
- We support you with long-standing experience from decades!
‒ From the very first design concept to serial production
‒ With complex geometries
‒ Different sizes of up to 500 x 500 x 500 mm
‒ NADCAP quality levels
- With lightweighting through additive manufacturing as well as our highly-stressable precision casting solutions, we are a reliable partner in the development of new engines.
Our expert teams and certified manufacturing environment are ready to realize your 3D-printing challenge.
In the following, we describe our key features and technologies behind optimized aerospace solutions like the 3D-printed GF turbine rear vane.
Click on the + to learn more:
Characterization of material properties
Support and consulting in the product development process
Additive Manufacturing oriented and compliant designs
Integration of additional functions and neighbour parts
Topology optimization and FEM simulation
Static and dynamic validation of components also under thermal boundary conditions
Metallurgical analysis of components
- High focus on the part functionality
- Extreme shapes
- Topological optimization and possibility to integrate lattice structure: Reducing weight and material
- Maximal design freedom thanks to additive manufacturing
‒ Cost reduction as mating surfaces no longer need to be machined to tight tolerances
‒ Reduced lead time compared to functional surface creation via casting
‒ Cost-neutral feature
‒ Possibility to create closed cavities without the need of molding or post-processing
- Integrating six single parts into one design
- Reduction of weldingto attach double-walled heat shiels for joint/assembly activities and process steps e.g. tooling or machining processes
- Increased overall reliability due to single-piece production
- Recuded leakage risk at the interface between different parts
- Increased air flow through the cylinders’ combustion chamber augments the engine power output
- Reduced weight of the usually heavy doubled walls while achieving the thermal insulation required for optimal performance thanks to an air gap which is not feasible with traditional casting methods
- Increased flexibility because of short production lead time
- Cost advantage: not only within the geometry and performance of the application but cost savings through the reduction of process steps such as machining
Density: almost no inner porosities (in AM evenly >99.5)
Depending on material and scope, AM can avoid HIP-treatment (cost intensive process step)
Microstructure is finer than cast ones: the tensile strength of AM material is higher
High repeatability in Additive Manufacturing
Part size or quantity - We think big! In our 500 x 500 x 500 mm printing space, big and heavy parts are possible as well as small parts in big volumes (part quantity in one print job).
Finding the best solution! We make objective & reliable technical decisions regarding manufacturing technology (additive manufacturing vs. casting) and have experience in customer applications, processes and production costs. Both technologies and all post-processing steps happen under one roof.
Quality you can rely on! Our complete additive manufacturing and follow-up processes are certified according to EN 9100 and Nadcap. Our trained and experienced teams take care of handling critical and complex parts requiring the higest standards.
We team up with you! We offer full R&D Service, including material, process and design development; and excellent project management. We consult and support during the set-up of specifications.
We offer all post-processes in-house (HT, ST, non-destructive testing) and combine more than 20 years experience in casting parts for rocket propulsion with high-end additive maufacturing technology. Our transparent and reliable services and cost structures allow you to fully focus on the race to space.
Need to speed up your manufacturing processes? Benefit from fast turnaround time and a single point of contact: From the concept to the serial production. Our processes are independent from third parties: All processes from development to finishing take place under one roof.
Value add in additive manufacturing
Find the right technology for your project
Additive manufacturing or precision casting?
The choice for the perfect technology depends on the specific project requirements and needs. GF brings long-standing experience with similar component families from the casting process which is now built upon when offering additive solutions: of course at the same high quality level.
To start with a concept, we always take a look at cost efficiency, a component's lifetime, number of parts, geometry and part size.
Depending on your project, precision casting might be the right choice.
Benefit from breathtaking speed and flexibility of the additive manufacturing process. With an expert team and certification, we develop and support your 3D-printing project.
All of our post-processing capabilities are Nadcap certified, including heat treatment, NDT inspection, welding, or airflow tests.
Our post processing capabilities
- Vacuum & cryogenic heat treatment
- NDT inspection
(including analog & digital RX, FPI, 3D measurement, CMM, bluelight scanner measurements system, and electronic gauges)
- Airflow test
- Installation for chemical etching
- Surface superfinishing processes
- Finishing and polishing (more than 50 years of experience)
- Computer tomography**
- Machining for semi-finished and finished components**
** not in-house